Bucket Lists


Recently, my family suffered a loss.  My cousin-a bright, lively, energetic, 24 year old-passed away in a car accident.  I haven't talked to this cousin in I don't even know how long and I feel guilty about that.  At his service, his grandfather spoke of him with such pride.  About a week or so before he died, he called his grandpa and told him that he needed to make a new bucket list because he had finished the one he made.  
I felt really bad because throughout the whole service I was sitting, listening, and just taking it in.  I did not cry or get teary eyed which took me by surprise and I felt insensitive.  How can I not cry? He was taken too soon.  He was the good one.  He had a great life.  He was living. I felt bad because everyone was crying for him and I couldn't.  Leaving the service, I went away with wanting to accomplish things on my bucket list-I had some ideas but I did not write anything down nor did I even know where to begin.  However, I bought tickets to release lanterns into the sky-something that I have been wanting to do for several years.  It just so happened that the tickets I bought were for the same night as his service.  I had a cathartic moment during this light festival.  When I was getting ready to release the lantern-it hit me-that I was finally completing this thing that I had wanted to do for so long; I could cross it off my bucket list.  I decided to write him a note, and in that moment, I did it for him-not for me.  During that exact time,  I had my moment; and I mourned for my cousin.  I released the lanterns and watched the beauty of it.
Going to Barcelona was was something I always wanted to do and I gave myself a price: If it ever gets to $300 I am just going to buy the ticket and go. The next day it was $300; I bought the ticket right then and there.  I didn't want to wait or talk myself out of it.  But it felt like something that was a sign-he died and here is the thing telling me to go! I am going to live my life for KJ; I am going to live my life for me.  I want to start crossing things off my bucket list.  We do not have enough time in this world and we shouldn't take what we do have for granted.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Different Types of Parents

Cellular Myofibroma

Sigh of Relief